Thursday 23 August 2012

Motoi Yamamoto: Salt Installations

I saw this incredible work on one of my favourite blogs: Booooooom Blog, which I had first discovered whilst I was at University back in 2008.
These salt installations have been created by the Japanese artist Motoi Yamamoto.


 Yamamoto uses salt due to its strong links with purification and preservation. According to a source I have read his sister died tragically from a brain tumour that lead Yamamoto to create 'maps of the mind' in the form of 'hurricanes' and 'typhoons' using experimental patterns with salt.
Shortly after the death of his sister he began to use salt to preserve her memory, and this has since become his primary medium.

The fragility of these works really appeals to me, as well as their obvious visual beauty.

The simplicity of the materials used, and the temporary nature Yamamoto has chosen to present them in is more proof that not all contemporary art has to shout or be controversial in order to be celebrated and recognised as outstanding.


Please take the time to have a look at the blog: Booooooom Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment